TABLE OF CONTENTS
- SETTING UP
- MANUAL AND ESSENTIALS GUIDE
How do I set up and light my Ooni Fyra 12?
To set up your Ooni Fyra, you’ll need to follow a few simple steps:
Unpack your oven, unfold the legs, insert stone and attach the chimney, fuel tray, flame keeper, pellet hopper and door.
Place your oven on an outdoor surface made of stone, metal, or wood. Tables made of glass or plastic are not recommended. Do not use your oven indoors.
Allow your oven 3 feet/1 meter of clearance on all sides and 9 feet/3 meters above.
Remove the chimney cap.
Open your chimney baffle and ensure the oven door is in place.
Remove the fuel tray from the back of the oven and fill tray with two scoops of wood pellets.
7. Place a firestarter on top of the pellets, light it, and slide the fuel tray back into place inside the oven.
8. Using the viewing hole on the oven door, check to see that your pellets are fully lit (and not just smoldering).
9. Once your pellets are lit, add more pellets to the hopper. You can do this by using the chimney cap to scoop and deposit the pellets.
10. Gather your pizza peel, dough and toppings - your oven will be fully preheated in 15 minutes!
11. As you cook, you’ll want to keep an eye on your fuel levels and top up little and often. A full hopper of pellets will last for about 15 minutes.
|When using your oven for the first time, let it run at high temperature (750°F/400°C) for 30 minutes, then cool it down completely to season the oven and ready it for use.|
What should I do before I start cooking in my Ooni Fyra 12?
Fire your empty Ooni Fyra 12 at a high temperature (750°F/400°C) for 30 minutes. Allow it to cool fully and wipe down the inside with a dry paper towel. After this 'seasoning' process, your oven will be ready to cook great pizza.
Where can I use and store my Ooni Fyra 12?
Ooni Fyra 12 is designed for outdoor use only. Burning solid fuels indoors can cause carbon monoxide to build up to dangerous levels.
You must also leave 3 feet/1 meter of clearance on all sides of your oven and 9 feet/3 meters of clearance above your oven. This means Ooni Fyra 12 will not be suitable for use on most balconies.
When your oven is not in use, use an Ooni Fyra 12 Carry Cover to keep it safe from the elements. For occasions where the weather is stronger than usual, such as periods of heavy snow, heavy rain, or extended exposure to sea breeze, bring your oven indoors to protect it.
How hot and smoky will my Ooni Fyra 12 get?
Your oven will be hot to the touch, so please exercise some caution. The legs of your oven will not transfer this heat, which will keep your wooden, stone or metal surface safe. There are also cool touchpoints on the oven. Handles for the door, fuel hatch and pellet hopper will stay cool throughout the cooking process.
You can expect to see some smoke as you cook, especially as your oven is approaching top temperatures (see below for an example).
Once your oven has reached high temperatures, the smoke should lessen (see below). If you see lots of smoke in the middle of your cook, you may have incomplete combustion or smoldering pellets. Top up a little until you see the pellets begin to burn again.
How much fuel will my Ooni Fyra 12 use?
2.5 pounds/1.1 kilograms per 10 pizzas
What kind of pellets do I need? Does Ooni Fyra 12 also work with gas, wood, or charcoal?
Ooni Fyra 12 is designed to work with hardwood pellets only. We always use Ooni Premium Hardwood Pellets because they are 100% hardwood and specifically intended for use in Ooni ovens.
If you’re looking for pellets at your local hardware or grocery store, you’ll want to source 100% hardwood pellets, made of something like beech, birch, or oak.
What should my flames look like?
Once ignited, you can expect the flame in your oven to range between a yellow and an orange flame. Your flames should look something like those in these photos:
How do I clean my Ooni Fyra 12?
How to clean the outside of your oven:
1. Let the oven cool down completely
2. Wipe soot and dirt with dry paper towels.
3. For tougher stains, clean with soapy water and dry immediately.
How to clean the inside of your oven:
1. Let the oven cool down completely.
2. Remove the fuel tray and dispose of cooled ashes into a fire pit, compost pile or any other environmentally-friendly waste disposal option available to you.
3. To clean soot from the oven door and chimney, use a dry paper towel. Avoid using water to clean the inside of the oven.
How to clean your baking stone:
1. Let the oven cool down completely.
2. Scrape off stubborn bits of food or debris with a pizza brush.
3. Flip your stone over and reinsert it for the next cook. The heat from the oven should be enough to burn off any remaining residue while you’re making pizza.
|Don’t worry about the stone changing color; that’s completely normal and is the sign of a well-loved Ooni Fyra 12!|
I’ve got a black substance leaking out of my pellet hopper and chimney. What should I do?
Don’t worry if you notice a black, oily substance in your pellet hopper and/or chimney. This is just a buildup of creosote, and it’s nothing a quick cleaning and some troubleshooting tips won’t solve.
Causes of creosote buildup:
1. Incomplete combustion due to a smoldering fire
Solution: make sure the flames are rolling before you add new pellets.
2. Incomplete combustion due to moist or wet pellets
Solution: make sure to store your pellets in an airtight container.
3. Restricted airflow
Solution: make sure the chimney cap is off, the chimney baffle is open and the door is on when cooking.
How to clean off creosote:
1. Easy! Give your oven a good scrubbing using a clean towel or non-abrasive sponge, soap, and water.
2. If you have stubborn stains on any stainless steel parts of your oven, Bar Keepers Friend and a clean towel should help you wipe them clean.
3. Dry your oven thoroughly before the next use.
How long does it take for my Ooni Fyra 12 to cool down?
Leave Ooni Fyra 12 for a minimum of one hour or until completely cool before touching, moving or storing it.